Adoption Process & Application
Please carefully read the information below before submitting an application.
Adopting a Border Collie is adopting a new lifestyle for the lifetime of the dog. Great Lakes Border Collie Rescue takes seriously our responsibility to our rescued dogs. We strive to identify the home best suited to each dog's personality, temperament, and activity level.
Each dog's listing is thoughtfully written, to help you get a feel for their personality. Please understand, however, the dog in whom you are interested may ultimately not be the right fit for your home.
If that is the case, please be patient while we help you find just the right dog, either among those currently in our care, or those awaiting foster space. Applicants who are already approved will be considered first when new dogs enter our program. Unfortunately, there are Border Collies losing their homes every day, and your forever-friend may be the next one to come into our rescue program. Our adoption process consists of the following steps, enabling us to get to know you and your family, and to ensure every placement is a permanent one:
Prior to completing an Adoption Application, please answer the questions below to indicate your understanding of the following terms.
Thank you for considered a rescued Border Collie.
- Phone Interview: A volunteer will contact you via email to determine the best time to call. In this call, you will describe what you're looking for in your new dog, and we will more thoroughly describe our adoption policies, as well as answer any questions you have about dogs currently in our care.
- Veterinary Reference Check: We will contact your veterinarian to ensure your current or most recent dogs are up-to-date on their vaccinations, and have received regular HW testing. Please be sure you list all veterinarians who may have care records for your pets.
- Home Visit: The purpose of this visit is to verify any information you have listed on your application (e.g., fenced-in yard, crate, etc.) and to ensure we are matching you with the correct Rescue Border Collie for your home environment.We request all members to be present at the home visit. PLEASE NOTE: The adoption process CANNOT be completed until a home visit has been performed.
- Meeting the available Border Collie: Once your application has been approved and a potential match has been identified, you will have the opportunity to meet your potential dog. You will be expected to travel to the foster dogs' location or a meeting point in between.
All members of the family (including any family dogs) should attend this initial meeting since we consider this a family decision. The adoption does not occur at this first meeting; we want you to meet the dog and think it over to be sure it's the perfect match.
- Execution of Adoption Contract and Payment of Adoption Fee: GLBCR requires all adopters to sign an adoption contract stipulating, among other things, the standard of care required for your dog. We also require an adoption fee of $275, payable in cash or check. What Does the Adoption Fee Cover?